Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Modern Street Photography

I think of street photography to the photo world as Jazz to the music world. The art of capturing human emotion outside of the house. This is public fine art, photojournalism, and candid photography. Getting a portrait of a person or persons in the raw at a specific point in their lives.

I don't do too much Street Photography these days, but I definitely enjoy it. These are a few photos from a farmers market in Kailua, HI last Thursday.



I try to find a scene, something I would be looking at even if I didn't have a camera with me. Street Chefs, human interactions, anything that would catch my eye naturally. I just get out there and people watch.
As for gear, use what you have. Traveling light has multiple advantages. Manual point and shoots like the Canon G series or a 35mm range finders are great choices. Really though, just use what you've got. Don't have a camera on you? Pull out the cell phone.

A few rules of street photography...
In a public place you have a right to take photos even if a stranger is in the image. If someone asks you to not take a picture of them, don't. Be respectful, but get in there and get the shot. Blend in stealth like. Seriously though, like a ninja. If people aren't paying attention to you, your doing a good job.

Shootz,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment